1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

7.00 Octarine Core

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by Blarrg, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    This item has actually become an important 3-4th item on many many heroes. Heroes that have -X% cooldown on their trees benefit more form Octarine than ever. Since cooldown reductions stack additively, it has made a lot of abilities far more powerful. Batrider has infinite flying at 25, techies has 5 second cooldown mega range remote mines that do 750 damage, and the list goes on.

I'm half expecting this item to become very popular, and possibly nerfed to work multiplicatively.

2. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah, it will probably be as old Bloodstone, nerfed to ground, then re-buffed to be sustainable item. The item price, aka addition of recipe will probably come.

Sven2k likes this.
  3. Hemoxyte

Hemoxyte Member

Aug 19, 2011
    The nerf to mana regen is pretty harsh though, and its still a very expensive item, I don't think it will get much more popular than it is now.

xXinvoker420Xx and Sven2k like this.
  4. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    It should stack multiplicatively, I don't see why it would work the way it does. We also have a precedent for this, being arcane rune which stacks multiplicatively with Octarine core, so I personally suspect that this is a bug.

5. Unfawkable

Unfawkable Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Are you sure? I could have sworn Arcane rune works additively.

6. lovestep

lovestep Member

Jan 10, 2015
    With the game being so fast pace and 150 base gpm to everyone, you are going to start seeing this on supports 30 minutes into the game. Especially since you will need faster cds

7. Anti-Xenophobe

Anti-Xenophobe Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It does, but it's still enough for cheese like perma-ulti Lycan.

8. Monsterlord_2nd

Monsterlord_2nd Moderator Staff Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Holy shit.

That has to be an oversight more than anything, surely.

9. BornFromAGrave

BornFromAGrave Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Well... any +dmg is added as basedmg aswell. So i guess they cut the "basecd"

10. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    That's the way I remember it at least, and the wiki confirms this.
    • Stacks multiplicatively with the cooldown reduction of [​IMG] Arcane Rune.
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Octarine_Core

11. xXinvoker420Xx

xXinvoker420Xx Member

Apr 5, 2014
    actually i think its a much worse item now that many heroes have cd reduction or even spell lifesteal talents case in point qop, you can choose either +90gpm at level 15 or you can choose 12% cdr, at 25 you can choose 70% spell lifesteal (1/5th for non heroes) or you can choose +35 int

it is still good good though but less important than before imo, i honestly think that blood thorn is now a much more important item because of the prevalence of evasion talents

12. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Addictive stacking makes cooldown reduction more powerful the more cooldown reduction you possess. CDR works like this in League of Legends and people either try to cap it (they have 40% CDR at max) or don't bother. 25% CDR vs 37% CDR means the talent makes for an increase of 48%, it's way better.

13. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    To add on to this, any spells that last a duration get a massive boost in their uptime.

DP Ult CD = 145, Duration 35, Uptime% 24
    With Octarine...
    CD = 108.75, Duration 35, Uptime% 32 (This is a 33% boost in uptime)
    With Octarine + 10% CD from tree
    CD = 94.25, Duration 35, Uptime% 37 (50% boost in uptime)

With Octarine + CD reduction talent, you've dropped your downtime from 110 seconds, to less than 60 seconds. Its almost impossible for the enemy to take advantage of a window so small in the lategame.

Oesile likes this.
  14. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    That's a valid point about the uptime. Abaddon has a 15% cooldown reduction talent for example, which gives his ultimate a 24 second cooldown with octarine which lasts for 6 seconds (7 with aghs). 18 seconds of downtime instead of 34, almost twice as good.
    Batrider gets permanent firefly with the +8 duration talent and octarine, and Arc Warden has a 12 second downtime on his ultimate, and a 65 second cooldown on both hands of midas.
    I've already seen clips of ember spirit permarooting people with octarine, the cdr talent and the +2 second duration on his root.
    You should never go octarine core on Broodmother probably, but now that her ult is undispellable and she has that cool 20% CDR talent she can enjoy a 10.75 second downtime on her ultimate, and webs that recharge in 22 seconds.
    There is also Rubick that can steal a spell with a long duration and keep it, such as Phantasm with Aghs or Chaotic Offering.
    The big winner is of course techies which can get a total of 50% cooldown reduction, which is insane on the hero.

Either way if this much is intended, I still think that it should be changed to stack multiplicatively and that the CDR value from the talent should be buffed for consistency. This also has the side-effect of buffing them even if you don't get octarine but currently it just makes no sense for it to work this way.

15. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Ember's Chains with Octa is a death sentence for melee carries.

16. Blamagenkind

Blamagenkind Member

Jun 10, 2009
    To be fair, Octarine is the only item that reduces cooldowns. If there were more items with CDR or if it stacked with itself I'd agree to make the stacking multiplicative. It's perfectly fine considering the cost.

And it stacks multiplicatively with arcane runes, btw.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  17. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    But it's inconsistent with how it interacted with other forms of CDR and does not work intuitively.
    What's probably happening is that both the talents and the octarine work off some kind of base cooldown, like say 100, so they both apply their CDR twice on that number.
    Besides, the item before was fine considering the cost. Heroes like DP already got Octarine core lategame.

If it's not a bug and it's intended then it's fine I suppose because it can still be balanced, like everything else, but then it still does really encourage getting an Octarine Core on these heroes.

18. BornFromAGrave

BornFromAGrave Member

Apr 17, 2014
    100-25-25=50 feels more intuitively then 100-25-25=56,25 imp. They question is, and i think thats the point of Blamagenkinds post: Is it possible to balance out CDR with the addivily stackig mechanic, because there are so few sources for that? Or do we need the more complicated multiplicative way that prevents 0CD by default and makes every additional source weaker and therefore OC less disireble on hero who already got CDR?

19. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    It's less intuitive because let's say you have a cooldown of 100 seconds and get the talent. It becomes a cd of 75. If you get an octarine, you should be getting the cooldown reduction for the 75 seconds cd no? Why is it you get to reduce the 100 second cooldown twice?
    75*0.75 = 50 does not feel intuitive at all.

To me either way of looking at it can be fine, but I'd rather it be consistent. Either make arcane rune be additive too, or make it all multiplicative.

20. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    While you discuss that, next patch intelligence points will grant X% CDR attached.

16 int = 1% spell dmg amplification is too low, it could easily be buffed to 12 int = 1% spell dmg amplification.

Just wait for it!